Friday, February 20, 2009

Spin Cycle: Change

As a Marine wife change is a way of life for me. I am certain that any/all military wives can commiserate and will agree that change is part of the nomadic life style of a military family. At a moments notice you must be willing to be capable of dropping everything to follow orders, relocate, and/or separate from family for an unspecified amount of time. I'm not just talking about what The Marine must do. As a spouse I too have to follow his Command's orders (although they can't cuss and yell at me if I don't - but they can make The Marines life hell). Although I do not have a contract with the Marine Corps, I do have a contract with The Marine. This contract means I support him and his career. So the topic is change......well.......personally I do not mind change as long as I have a little control. With every Duty station and new home. I try to make sure that certain things remain the same. I usually try to make sure Monkey's room is immediately set up, so there is little change for her. I make sure that the family rituals do not change. Such as bed times remain the same at all times in all places unless there are special circumstances. Because our life changes so much and we can't control it, we try to keep change to a minimum on the things that we can control. Once furniture is in place, I hate moving it. I always paint and decorate with the same colors in each destination, and I often even try to keep with the same qualities in a home. These are all changes within my control.


Change is not always bad, it's just that when you have a lot of it constantly you tend hate change.

5 comments:

  1. I know I could not hack it if I had to move repeatedly. I am so anti-change when it comes to my comforts. Bless you for being so proactive about it! By all means, you can join the Spin Cycle whenever you want! You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My x was a marine...luckily he got out after 6 years!!! So, not a lot of moving involved...just lots of time away from home. Bravo for trying to keep things normal for the kido....she will appreciate it when she is older!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Spin Cycle! I think it makes you a great wife and mom for having the skills to recreate home wherever you happen to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your spin. I always wondered how families adapted so quickly. I grew up by a navy base and lost my friends to their moves on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hat is off to you for that. What an interesting spin.
    I would so the same, setting up each new place with the same decorations. I would need that for my sanity.

    ReplyDelete