Thursday, January 8, 2009

Favorite Utterance





There are so many things in this world to enjoy and be inspired by. Many enjoy poetry, some love jazz, you could even enjoy those pictures that have a picture that you must find with in it - a sail boat or dog or something, maybe a dog on a sail boat (I can never find the picture within - possibly because I am too busy making fun of the people gathered around a random picture squinting and turning their head in a confused sort of manner).


However, I do enjoy quotes. I love to hear those random utterances (Is Utterances a word?). It doesn't matter if the author is famous or not, dead or alive, funny or serious. No matter the subject matter I will enjoy the quote as long as it is appropriate for the situation. Every Monday I find a quote that suits me, the economy, the news, the season, or weather. I write it on my dry erase board for my students to enjoy or ignore - what ever their inclination. So...now that I have expressed my quote diatribe, I am going to share my favorite quote with all of you.


"An Oak struck by lightening heals itself by twisting and bending around the wound: it is still recognizably a tree, it still lives as a tree, it still puts out its leaves and acorns, but its center, hidden deep within the curtain of green, remains empty and splintered where it hasn't been grotesquely scarred over. We are happy the tree hasn't died, and from the proper angel we can look on it and suppose that it is the same tree that is ever was, but it is not and never will be."



This quote is from the book 'The Widow of the South' by Robert Hicks. This was a statement that the main character Carrie McGavock made referring to herself and her own personal tragedies as well as for the multitude of confederate soldiers that lie wounded in her home.


This quote speaks to my heart. This quote also became a mantra for my own personal healing in the face of a tragedy.




That is part of what I like about quotes. There is rarely a hidden meaning they are usually short and straight to the point. I hope that you will share some of your favorite quotes with me and tell me why you like them so much. I plan to share a regular quote with all of you I hope you enjoy them, but even if you don't like a particular quote I would still like to hear why.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'll have to think about my favorite quote...I'll get back with ya later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is not nearly as deep but it is "me" right now.
    “The only reason we make plans is so we can manage the change that inevitability occurs”

    “Motivation is like taking a bath; do it daily or you stink!”

    ReplyDelete