Monday, June 8, 2009

Toyota.......Ford

When the Marine and I started dating, we dated long distance. As our relationship progressed and we decided that we were in love, we would end our conversations with "I love you." (as most couples typically do) Often when the marine would talk to me in the presence of his men he would get very quiet when it came time to say...."I love you," almost as if he was a little embarrassed. We always had an ongoing argument over the better car...Toyota (which I thought were better) and Ford (which he insisted were superior). One night instead of "I love you" he said "Toyota" and in exchange I conceded "Ford." For a long time, we would tell each other "Toyota" or "Ford" on pace of the simple phrase "I love you." Eventually, the Marine stopped caring what his men thought and he would tell me he loved me no matter who was around. But occasionally when ever he is deployed I will send him a post card with only FORD in large letters written on it, for all to see. He says he gets some strange looks when he picks up his mail, but he knows what it means. It's not the words, but the meaning behind the words.

This week over at Sprite’s Keeper: Spin Cycle, the topic is pets. If you want to spin too, just start writing - don't forget to let Jen know over there.

2 comments: