Friday, June 12, 2009

My Cuban Sandwich Slider

In my previous Blog I mentioned that I would be making Cuban Sandwiches for my family on the 4th of July.

Well....the question was asked "What in a Cuban Sandwich? I must know."

It is a very basic recipe. I will first give you the traditional recipe for a Cuban sandwich which the Marine's aunt taught me. (Yes, she is 100% Cuban!)

3 thin slices of ham
3 thin slices roast pork hot or cold (I use hot, slow roasted pork)
3 thin slices of Swiss cheese
3 or 4 slices of pickles
1/3 cut Cuban Bread hard crust (or French bread)

mayonnaise
mustard
A sandwich press

Marinate the Pork in the mojo for at least 1 hour (It's best if you do it for 5 or more hours - at least I think it tasted better that way). Roast in oven in a covered pan until meat is completely cooked and brown (must regularly baste pork through out roasting). Put Mayonnaise and mustard on both sides of the bread. Put the Ham, pork, cheese, and pickles on the bread. Place sandwich into press and hold until the bread is a golden brown.
Now.....I have found a way to make a Cuban sandwich with out a sandwich press (although I am still hoping I will get one for a birthday or something....ahem...marine...are you reading this?). I do not have to slave over my oven all day slow roasting and basting, I use a pork that is a bit healthier, and make the sandwich bite-size so my monkey will eat it too.

Now for the disclaimer: Any Cuban worth his/her rice and beans (The Marine included) will tell you that this is not a "real" Cuban sandwich. It does not have the slow roasted smokey flavor, the fatty yumminess that comes with a pork shoulder/butt, and it doesn't have the right bread (it really is all about the bread).

That said it is great for the mom or dad who doesn't want to slave all day in the kitchen, but wants something different.

2 thin slices of ham Smoked Ham (I get mine deli cut - it's worth it!)
a hand full of pulled pork loin hot or cold (I use hot, slow cooked pork )
1 or 2 thin slices of Swiss cheese (I usually use half or 1)
1 or 2 slices of pickles (I use the long sandwich ones and usually only need 1)
small rolls (anything will work, i.e. Hawaiian, yeast, hamburger, french rolls, etc)
mayonnaise
mustard

Crock Pot

I Marinate the Pork in the mojo for at least for 5 or more hours - at least I think it tastes better that way. Place pork loin(s) and 1 to 2 cups of mojo in crock pot and cook over night or until meat is completely cooked and brown . Drain fat/grease/and remaining mojo from Crock about 1 hour prior to serving. Pour about 1 to 2 cups of mojo into crock pot (enough to maintain the flavor and keep things moist) and shred pork (very much like you would do to make pulled pork BBQ). Put Mayonnaise and mustard on both sides of the bread. Put the Ham, pork, cheese, and pickles on the bread. Put sandwich(s) into non-stick frying pan. Use large pot or another frying pan and press on top of slider's, flip sandwich(s) and repeat pressing.



These are great with plantain chips and a sour cream and mojo dip!

3 comments:

  1. You need to add one more thing, where to get Mojo and what it is...I had no clue until you made it at my house. Mmmm Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally, I don't do pork. I'd be willing to change that if I am within smelling distance of that. And just to make you jealous? John made fried plantains last night that just made me sigh as I ate them, they were so good. This morning I am sighing as I look at the scale, but WORTH IT!

    ReplyDelete